Tuesday 19 August 2014

This Dark Road to Mercy by Wiley Cash

Easter Quillby
Chapter 1

Wade disappeared on us when I was nine years old, and then he showed up out of nowhere the year I turned twelve.

This line possesses both character and conflict that raise questions. Why did this person disappear and why return? My first thought was that Wade was a child. That would have made it more interesting, but while commenting on this line and reading the next, I'm suspecting that Wade might be an adult.

By then I'd spent nearly three years listening to Mom blame him for everything from the lights getting turned off to me and Ruby not having new shoes to wear to school, and by the time he came back I'd already decided that he was the loser she'd always said he was.

Then we learn that Wade is a thief and takes the narrator and little sister away after the mother dies. By page 2 we learn that Wade is Daddy.

Of course this is back story but as it is filled with conflict and establishes tone and character to a degree, it is fun to read and the reader becomes quickly engrossed.

First thing said:

"That's your daddy right there."

Verdict: Pass 

Sincerely,
Theodore Moracht

No comments:

Post a Comment