Saturday 16 November 2013

Orders from Berlin by Simon Tolkien

Reinhard Heydrich, head of the Gestapo and the Sicherheitsdienst (SD), the intelligence division of the SS, stood to one side, a few yards away from the group of generals and admirals gathered around Adolf Hitler.

So here we have a bunch of Nazis standing around waiting for the story to begin with some sunshine, back story, and history to slow this down enough to be distracted by another book sitting on my desk. I suppose this historical fade in is necessary to a degree, as historical novels need a certain amount of context and set up, but it would be nice if it were in conjunction with a story problem.

Hitler says the first thing:

"We will go far together, you and I."

World War Two novels are interesting, but I need more in my beginning than establishing historical figures.

Verdict: Fail

Sincerely,
Theodore Moracht

No comments:

Post a Comment