Friday 8 November 2013

The October List by Jeffery Deaver

She stood at the window of the Manhattan apartment, peering through a slit in the drapes.

This novel begins at the end. It is subtitled: A Novel in Reverse. So this sentence (it's still the opening line of the novel, regardless of how the author wants to label it, as it's the first thing the reader sees), is technically the end or last sentence.

Anyway, it doesn't grab any attention. Just some random lady looking through the window. By the end of the first page there is the suggestion of a sniper out and about. But without context, we're lost without a care in this narrative world. One good thing is that with this title I was expecting early on a paragraph or two describing the season; however, the author resisted the temptation to describe an October day for those not in the know.

Chapter 1, which is at the end of the book begins:

I'm going to tell you what I need.

The next sentence makes the first redundant.

I need someone dead.

It's better than the opening line in chapter 36, or is the last line of the book supposed to be the first?

"Let's get to work."

Maybe this is supposed to be the true first line? I'm just mulling over my options here, though none of them hook me.

First thing (or last thing) said:

"Do you see anyone?"

I did consider giving this a pass (for effort), but...

Verdict: Fail

Sincerely,
Rudy Globird

No comments:

Post a Comment