Tuesday 11 February 2014

Wilderness by Dean Koontz

My mother claimed that in any mirror I had used, she could see my face rather than her own, my face and my singular eyes, and she could not thereafter have the mirror in the house.

Unusual situation that raises enough questions to keep the reader interested in this short story. As a first-person narrative, we get enough to become curious about this character or the mother, if she is crazy. Nothing is for certain and so the reader reads on.

Most often a first line is not enough to reveal conflict, character, setting, theme, tone, mood etc., and so the writer tries a blend as many of these elements as possible as in the case above. It usually works if there is something odd and out of the ordinary - something extraordinary enough to suggest to readers they are about to take a break from their ordinary life.

Verdict: Pass

Sincerely,
Theodore Moracht

No comments:

Post a Comment