Thursday 17 October 2013

Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris

January

The New Orleans businessman, whose gray hair put him in his fifties, was accompanied by his much younger and taller bodyguard/chauffeur on the night he met the devil in the French Quarter.

This sentence starts off like the complete first sentence of The Fire Witness, but instead of stopping with only a character's age, this one goes further and hooks with a slightly unusual situation. Though it seems half the stories set in the French Quarter of New Orleans have the devil. So I'm not that impressed. But this sentence could have been much worse in the hands of most of the writers reviewed on this blog.

Chapter One:

The morning after I raised my boss from the dead, I got up to find him sitting half-dressed in my backyard on my chaise lounge.

Another sentence filled with weirdness and establishes tone and mood. I've not read any of these Sookie books. I once saw an episode of True Blood though, but I didn't like it (maybe it was the inane TV commercials that ruined it). Fans of these books were hooked years ago, so their opinions on this opening don't count, but for those beginning with this book, they should be hooked enough to read on. There's dialogue early, too, which is a bonus.

First thing said:

"This is really the Devil we're going to see?"

Verdict: Pass

Sincerely,
Rudy Globird

No comments:

Post a Comment