Wednesday 9 October 2013

MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood

In the beginning, you lived inside the egg. That is where Crake made you.

I wonder if this is the result of listening to the Beatles too much.

Obviously, from the summary that opens this book, it's important to have read the other books in this series. However, I skipped the summary to judge objectively  the opening line and scene in this book and its ability to stand alone.

Yes, good, kind Crake. Please stop singing or I can't go on with the story.

This reminds me of something else I've read recently.

The Egg was big and round and white, like half a bubble, and there were trees inside it with leaves and grass and berries. All the things you like to eat.

I'm guessing this is some kind of artistic swing opening that established writers like to get off on before they begin their book. It's weird, which is good, but weird in a conventional sense (normal weird), which is bad. I used to write just like that when I was a teenager; it wasn't important if people understood me or not. In fact, the more confused everyone was, the prouder I was of myself. It's kind of reminiscent of the beginning of Kubrick's 2001: The Space Odyssey.

I assume the book begins with this unidentified first chapter:

About the events of that evening - events that set human malice loose in the world again - Toby later made two stories.

Instead of telling me there's a story, and wasting precious seconds of my time, just tell the story for god's sake!

First thing said:

"We need to go now."

Yes, let's.

Verdict: Fail

Sincerely,
Rudy Globird

No comments:

Post a Comment