Wednesday 23 October 2013

Fifth Grave past the Light by Darynda Jones

The dead guy at the end of the bar kept trying to buy me a drink.

Knowing nothing about this novel or the apparent series, I must say this line hooks. It's weird and funny. It establishes tone, as does the sentences that follow. However, reading on and once familiar with the premise behind the series, it starts to impress less, as being dead, it seems, is the new alive. It reminds me of Beetlejuice - not that there's anything wrong with that.

First thing said:

"C-come here often?"

Other random sentences from page one:

Which figured.
Turned it down!
I felt violated.
Especially tonight.
But I was oozing interest. 
And I wore makeup. 
And I had cleavage.

Not a novel to study for its sentence structure, unless you're in love with sentence fragments, pretentious cliches, and sassy, over the top chick-lit lingo. It'd probably sound fine reading it aloud while chewing a pack of Hubba Bubba though. Like, totally, you know.

Not much to add, the opening sentence speaks for itself.

Verdict: Cool

Sincerely,
Theodore Moracht

No comments:

Post a Comment