Monday 28 October 2013

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

Preface

I have often reflected upon the strange series of circumstances that led me to my long association with one of the most singular and remarkable figures of my age.

So begins Watson, introducing none other than Sherlock Holmes - a name that hooks just about anyone interested in a good mystery. The question is, is Sherlock Holmes safe in the hands of any writer other than Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? Many have tried, in fact there seems to be an endless legion of writers writing Sherlock Holmes' stories. I have not been much interested in them, but if anyone is qualified to write a Sherlock Holmes' story, it is Mr. Horowitz. I thoroughly enjoy watching his adaptations of Poirot with David Suchet.

Plus, this beginning arouses some curiosity: What are these strange circumstances?

First thing said:

"Influenza is unpleasant," Sherlock Holmes remarked, "but you are right in thinking that, with your wife's help, the child will recover soon."


Verdict: Pass (barely)

Sincerely,
Theodore Moracht

No comments:

Post a Comment