Sunday 17 November 2013

Tell Me by Lisa Jackson

His hand was cool as it slid up her leg, smoothly brushing her calf, tickling and teasing, causing her spine to tingle and a warmth to start in the deepest part of her.

The deepest part? Would that be her intestines? See, Grade 12 Biology does allow me to navigate through the misinterpretations. I'm glad I passed that subject so I can be confused (for entertainment purposes) later in life. Actually, it doesn't matter where - anatomically speaking - this conflict/scene is playing itself out, because this is part dream, part hallucination, and part, alas, stupid. The pronouns participate in making this vague - like a dream should be.

It ends with someone getting shot and still screaming as the world goes black. Personally, I don't think that's possible, but what do I know about dying?

No conflict here until we get the first thing said:

"Don't."

After this surreal prologue we get an interview with more pronouns. It's all mysterious and confusing as if you are actually dreaming this book and not reading it.

"Just tell me what you know about that night."

More "he" and "she" doing things to "it" and "them".

Finally Chapter one:

"I know, I know."

Thus begins a story that has nothing to do with the prologue and interview. An unsuspecting reader might get hooked by the prologue, but don't worry - the intelligent reader can safely manage to get unhooked a couple paragraphs into chapter one.

Verdict: Fail

Sincerely,
Rudy Globird

No comments:

Post a Comment