Sunday 16 March 2014

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

Another great opening line. A situation that is obviously out of the ordinary but also reveals something extraordinary. The bad grammar is a little disconcerting because I I don't much like the realism of dialect in stories. It's distracting and annoying. Reading Huck Finn was enough for me.

Next line and first thing said:

"Need a poo, Todd."
"Shut up, Manchee,"
"Poo. Poo, Todd."
"I said shut it."

This little conversation between a boy and his dog seems so ordinary at first glance, it's amusing. After this attention grabbing opening the story settles into ordinary standard storytelling and my attention starts to wane. Nevertheless, I plod on for another page to find the scene and conflict between the boy and dog hooks me back again.

Verdict: Pass

Sincerely,
Theodore Moracht

No comments:

Post a Comment