Tuesday 10 December 2013

Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman

My husband wasn't in bed with me when I woke up that January morning.

We assume then that he was with her that December morning. Some people might be alarmed by such a sentence and consequently hooked but not me. I like it when my significant other isn't in bed when I wake up; I can stretch around or whatever.

The page goes on about Brendan - the husband missing in action - not being in bed with her, restating this fact again and again. I understood the situation with the first sentence and repeating it does not garner sympathy - only annoyance. Mrs. Pronoun is in bed - alone and overreacting. Despite the author's insistence of conflict, I don't really care.

Second sentence of paragraph one:

The mid-winter sky was bruised purple and yellow outside the window.

Ah, the infamous weather report, clarifying that January is in fact mid-winter. The image may be vivid but adds nothing to the story at this stage. However, I actually expected an early weather report with the title of the book being what it is and all.

First thing said:

"Brendan?"

Of course that would be the first thing said. A wife is in search of her husband. Sounds like this might work well as a computer game.

Verdict: Fail

Sincerely,
Rudy Globird

No comments:

Post a Comment