Thursday 19 December 2013

Battered to Death by Gayle Trent

It had been a long, bleak winter in southwest Virginia.

A weather report. Are authors paid more if they begin with the weather? Besides, call me a fanatical Canadian, but I can't picture Virginia having a long, bleak winter, at least not what I would consider a long, bleak winter.

Next line in paragraph 1:

Even though I was born and raised in the small town of Brea Ridge and should be used to the cold, often snowy winters, I was a warm-weather gal at heart.  

A history report, à la Dickens. The character continues to contemplate herself, as most self-absorbed people do, and as with most people it's not very interesting.

First thing said:

"What are you doing?"

Throwing this book away and going on to something better, thanks for asking.

Verdict: Fail

Sincerely,
Rudy Globird

No comments:

Post a Comment